It's time to rethink your approach to dry eye
CLINICAL EXCELLENCE ANCHORED BY DYNAMIC RESEARCH PROGRAMS ENABLE A UNIQUE PATIENT EXPERIENCE
DURING THIS TIME WHEN CHILDREN ARE DOING MOST OF THEIR SCHOOLWORK ONLINE, WE WANTED TO PROVIDE INFORMATION ABOUT THE EFFECTS OF PROLONGED NEAR WORK ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF DRY EYE, WHICH ALSO HAPPENS IN CHILDREN
Adolescent Dry Eye Clinic
In 2017, we launched or Adolescent Dry Eye Clinic due to an overwhelming increase in symptoms of dry eye among pre-teens and teens secondary to excessive screen time and/or inappropriate use of cosmetics. The purpose of this service is to raise awareness and promote preventative care with age appropriate material. We are among the first clinics to focus aggressively on early intervention and prevention of dry eye in young people.
We will use state of the art diagnostics to identify each root cause for your dry eye symptoms. If you have been unable to obtain relief from other remedies , it may be because they have not targeted the primary cause of your condition. Consider having an initial dry eye evaluation at our office. When calling for an appointment, please identify the symptoms you are having and state that you would like to be seen for an initial dry eye evaluation. Diagnostic visits may or may not be partially or completely covered by insurance plans. Patients with dry eye will receive the advantage of our 30 years of specialization in this area and the developments resulting from our extensive research programs.
Important tests for dry eye, which were developed through a partnership with Tearscience, Inc., include:
- Meibography - Enables critical analysis of the structural integrity of the lipid producing glands of the lid.
- Lipiview Ocular Surface Interferometer - Captures detailed digital images of the lipid content of the tears and quantifies the blinking reflex.
- Meibomian Gland Evaluator - Measures the function of the glands during normal blinking.
- Light Test - Diagnoses whether the lids are properly sealing to prevent exposure desiccation overnight.
- Evaporative Stress Test - Tests for neuropathic pain and corneal hyperalgesia
- Diagnostic Gland Expression - Examines the quality of the meibomian secretions and helps to establish a course of treatment.
Other diagnostic tests include use of vital dyes, tear osmolarity testing (TearLab) and testing for inflammatory markers (Inflammadry), as well as testing for Sjogren's syndrome and conjunctival chalasis.
Our philosophy is that successful treatment of dry eye is predicated on a management plan rooted in a thorough evaluation of each factor that can contribute to dry eye disease. We offer state of the art treatments for dry eye including:
- LipiFlow Thermal Pulsation System - Treats evaporative dry eye disease, using precisely controlled heat and gentle pressure applied to the eyelids, to unblock obstructed Meibomian glands during a 12 minute, in-office procedure. LipiFlow allows Meibomian glands to resume there natural production of lipid needed for a healthy tear film.
Treating MGD with LipiFlow
While there are multiple choices available for treating MGD, LipiFlow is the only FDA-cleared device for removing gland blockages and restoring gland function. Through advances in the application of Vectored Thermal Pulsation technology, the LipiFlow treatment utilizes a patented algorithm of heat applied to the inner eyelids and massage to remove the obstructions in your meibomian glands.
- Intense Pulsed Light Therapy - Optima IPL treats periocular inflammatory conditions such as Rosacea and lid margin telangiectasia and Demodex mites, which may lead to ocular surface conditions such as Dry Eye. 80% of rosacea patients suffer from Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. Optima IPL is a drug free, drop free, light-based treatment, which helps to ameliorate lid inflammation.
- Lid Margin Debridement - Removes material from the lid margin, enabling secretions from the Meibomian glands to spread across the ocular surface.
- Scleral Contact Lenses - Provide a fluid reservoir over the ocular surface which can promote healing of the ocular tissues and protect the surface of the eye from desiccation.
- EyePrint Pro is an optically clear prosthetic scleral device designed to match the exact contours of the individual eye.
- Custom Moisture Chamber Spectacles - Can provide relief from severe symptoms by enabling a high humidity micro-environment. These are also available in personalized prescriptions.
- Comprehensive Eyelid Cleaning - Similar to a dental procedure, the lashes, lid margin, eyebrows and skin of the lids are thoroughly cleaned to control Demodex infestation and blepharitis. We use the BlephEx and NuLids devices for a thorough treatment. Ideal to schedule between lash extension applications.
- Serum/amniotic fluid drops- for severe cases of dry eye these compounds contain growth factors which can promote ocular surface healing and normalization of corneal nerves.
- Amniotic membrane bandage contact lenses- have been shown to promote healing of severely compromised ocular surfaces, including dry eye.
These treatments are used in concert with more traditional methods of dry eye management including anti-inflammatory medications, lubricants, ointments and punctal occlusion therapy.
Learn more about dry eye with this intractive website https://www.oscb-berlin.org/
We curate the most effective range of at home therapies for our patients.
Donald Korb is the inventor of two commonly used dry eye products: Systane Balance™ and Soothe XP™
EyeSeals and Onyix™ sleeping mask
Zenia and Panoptyx™ dry eye glasses
Lid cleansing products such as Tea Tree oil lid shampoos, and hypochlorous acid formulations such as Ocusoft and Avenova™ cleanser
Warm compress towels
Tranquileyes and TranquilEyes XL heating masks
NuLids lid cleaning device
Custom micro-environent prescription glasses and sleeping masks are available