CLINICAL EXCELLENCE ANCHORED BY DYNAMIC RESEARCH PROGRAMS IN DRY EYE AND CONTACT LENSES ENABLES A UNIQUE PATIENT EXPERIENCE
For over thirty years, Korb & Associates has played a major role in dry eye research, leading to an understanding of the cause of dry eyes, diagnosis and methods of treatment. Our research began in the 1980’s with collaboration with Dr. Antonio Henriquez of Barcelona, Spain, resulting in a publication, Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD), a term now used throughout the world and the subject of thousands of scientific articles.
There are roughly 30 million people in the United States and over 300 million worldwide who have been diagnosed with dry eye. Most have learned to live with eye discomfort and have become dependent on drops or other treatment methods that only offer temporary relief. This has been due to a lack of understanding that the root cause of most dry eye (86%) is now known to be a chronic and progressive condition, Meibomian Gland Dysfunction or MGD.
MGD occurs when there is a compromise to the function and/or structure of the meibomian glands in the eyelids that produce the protective oily layer of the tear film. These glands can become blocked over time and can no longer produce oils needed for healthy tears. This blockage results in rapid evaporation of your tears and can lead to irritation, discomfort and if not treated, gland dropout.
A series of evaluations will be performed to determine if you have MGD. This can include a LipiView® tear film and gland imaging and a meibomian gland evaluation. Knowing what is causing your Dry Eye will help your doctor determine the best treatment option.
Now, with the breakthrough LipiFlow® technology, it’s possible to directly treat the root cause of MGD.
Treating MGD with LipiFlow
While there are multiple choices available for treating MGD, LipiFlow is the only FDA-cleared device for removing gland blockages and restoring gland function. Through advances in the application of Vectored Thermal Pulsation technology, the LipiFlow treatment utilizes a patented algorithm of heat applied to the inner eyelids and massage to remove the obstructions in your meibomian glands.
If you have been unable to obtain relief from either over-the-counter or prescription remedies you have tried, it may be because they have not targeted the primary cause of your condition. To determine the cause, you should consider having an initial dry eye evaluation at our office. When calling for an appointment, please identify the symptoms you are having and state that you would like to be seen for an initial dry eye evaluation. Diagnostic visits may or may not be partially or completely covered by insurance plans. Patients with dry eye will receive the advantage of our 30 years of specialization in this area and the developments resulting from our extensive research programs.
Learn more about dry eye with this intractive website https://www.oscb-berlin.org/
DRY EYE DIAGNOSTICS
Important tests for dry eye, which were developed through a partnership with Tearscience, Inc., include:
- Meibography - Enables critical analysis of the structural integrity of the lipid producing glands of the lid.
- Lipiview Ocular Surface Interferometer - Captures detailed digital images of the lipid content of the tears and quantifies the blinking reflex.
- Meibomian Gland Evaluator - Measures the function of the glands during normal blinking.
- Light Test - Diagnoses whether the lids are properly sealing to prevent exposure desiccation.
- Evaporative Stress Test - Diagnoses whether improvement in symptoms occurs when evaporation of the tears is reduced.
- Diagnostic Gland Expression - Examines the quality of the meibomian secretions and helps to establish a course of treatment.
Other diagnostic tests include use of vital dyes, tear osmolarity testing (TearLab) and testing for inflammatory markers (Inflammadry), as well as testing for Sjogren's syndrome and conjunctival chalasis.
DRY EYE INTERVENTIONS
- Our philosophy is that successful treatment of dry eye is predicated on a management plan rooted in a thorough evaluation of each factor that can contribute to dry eye disease. We offer state of the art treatments for dry eye including:
- LipiFlow Thermal Pulsation System - Treats evaporative dry eye disease, using precisely controlled heat and gentle pressure applied to the eyelids, to unblock obstructed Meibomian glands during a 12 minute, in-office procedure. LipiFlow allows Meibomian glands to resume there natural production of lipid needed for a healthy tear film.
- Lid Margin Debridement - Removes material from the lid margin, enabling secretions from the Meibomian glands to spread across the ocular surface.
- Scleral Contact Lenses - Provide a fluid reservoir over the ocular surface which can promote healing of the ocular tissues and protect the surface of the eye from desiccation.
- EyePrint Pro- is an optically clear prosthetic scleral cover shell designed to match the exact contours of the individual eye.
- Custom Moisture Chamber Spectacles - Can provide relief from severe symptoms by enabling a high humidity micro-environment. These are also available in personalized prescriptions.
- Eyelid Cleaning Service- Similar to a dental procedure, the lashes, lid margin, eyebrows and skin of the lids are thoroughly cleaned to control Demodex infestation and blepharitis.
- Serum/amniotic fluid drops- for severe cases of dry eye these compounds contain growth factors which can promote ocular surface healing and normalization of corneal nerves.
- Amniotic membrane bandage contact lenses- have been shown to promote healing of severely compromised ocular surfaces, including dry eye.
These treatments are used in concert with more traditional methods of dry eye management including anti-inflammatory medications, lubricants, ointments and punctal occlusion therapy.
DRY EYE PRODUCTS
Donald Korb is the inventor of two commonly used dry eye products: Systane Balance™ and Soothe XP™
EyeSeals and Onyix™ sleeping mask http://www.cpap.com/productpage/eyeeco-onyix-eye-s...
Tranquileyes and TranquilEyes XL
Custom micro-environent prescription glasses and sleeping masks are available